Visit Your Oak Brook Dentist Regularly
Plaque which is not removed can transform into calculus in just 24 hours. Proper oral hygiene practices help mitigate the formation of tartar and plaque, particularly in the less accessible areas in the mouth.
Your Oakbrook dentist, periodontist, and dental hygienist will recommend follow-on scheduled cleanings at the completion of your periodontal treatment. They are normally four times a year, which is oftentimes more frequent than that of other patients.
Precise measurements of the pocket depths in and around the teeth will be analyzed to determine overall health, and problematic deposits of tartar build-up and plaque residing below the gum line (which cannot be removed easily at home) will be removed with specialized equipment.
Watch Dr. Haque Discuss Ozone Therapy
During the course of your appointment, a patient can expect additional services as follows:
- Teeth polishing: Plaque and stains which cannot be removed by toothbrushing and scaling alone will be removed during this procedure, which also has the benefit of restoring the shine and smooth texture of the teeth.
- Examination of existing restorations: An analysis of pre-existing crowns, restorative fixtures, and fillings will be performed which will identify potential infections and dental decay.
- Recommendations for Oral Hygiene: Your dentist will make an informed assessment and give recommendations on measures to sustain good oral health, including but not limited to specialized brushes, powered toothbrushes, fluoride rinses, types of floss, etc.
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Radiographs are essential in identifying cysts, tumors, possible areas of bone and tooth decay, as well as the positions of teeth and their roots below the gumline.
- Oral cancer screening: Key signs that indicate the presence of oral cancer in areas such as the neck, oral tissues, throat, tongue, and the face will be examined carefully and discussed with the patient.
A diligent patient-centered program of proper oral hygiene (to include regular periodontal maintenance) are key to well-being and prevention of serious health complications arising from uncontrolled periodontal disease.