Hygiene and Grooming is more than for physical appearance. Some people may think that the only reason you make an effort to groom and perform hygiene practices so that you will look and smell better. For oral health, hygiene makes a bigger contribution and one is encouraged to maintain good oral hygiene because it guarantees the health of the smile. When you make an effort to keep your teeth clean and healthy, you are given the chance to enjoy it for longer. When you make an effort to safeguard the health of your teeth, you get to a smile that you can surely be proud of.
Convinced enough? If your new awareness has opened up a new interest and passion, then it is only fitting for you to get to know the following:
– When brushing your teeth, be mindful of the quality of your effort. Good tooth brushing is dependent on a lot of things, the most significant of which is the technique the person uses. Some people say, “But I always brush my teeth, why do I still get tooth decay?” they do not realize that it is not always about the frequency. You brush your teeth many times, but you do not clean thoroughly, so your efforts cancel out. For your brushing, it is important that you employ the right stroke so as to reach the crucial areas in the mouth.
– There is such as thing as healthy and responsible flossing. Flossing is a very helpful oral hygiene measure. The bristles of the toothbrush are not able to penetrate into the spaces in between teeth but the strings of floss can clean the proximal areas and remove plaque and food particles that have been collected. Unfortunately, some people are much too aggressive with their efforts to floss; doing it more than they should, thus hurting tissues in the process.
– It is hygienic and more effective if you regularly change your toothbrush after three years. Be responsible enough to have your toothbrush changed every 3 months. Using your toothbrush for very long is not good because not only will it be ridden by bacteria, it will have worn bristles that are much too weak to do its job of cleaning your teeth. Endeavor to change your toothbrush every three months or if you have the tendency to lose track of time, know that there are toothbrushes that have indicators, telling you when it is time to get a replacement.
– Non-alcoholic mouthwash and rinses are better for your oral health. Most people are inclined to pick the most stingy mouth rinses because they seem to give them better smelling breath. These mouthwashes have very high alcoholic content, giving you the feeling that it is working its best effort to keep your mouth fresh and clean but what it is doing is encouraging bacteria to grow. High-alcoholic mouth rinses dry up the mouth. Dry mouths are more prone to disease.
– Always take time to read the ingredients of the products you use. When choosing products such as toothpastes, mouthwash and so forth, it will be smart for you to look into the ingredients of such products, to make sure that they are ingredients that will help promote your health. Do take the time to ask your dentist about their recommendations. As an expert, they will know better which way to go.