Lasers are modern technology applied in Dentistry as well as in other medical fields. The intense beam of light energy it produces is able to invoke a reaction when it is subjected to a structure in the mouth, so allowing much ease not only for the dental practitioner but also for the patient. Lasers have so many applications in Dentistry. In fact, there are specific equipment in laser dentistry that assist dentist in the following:
Diagnosis: A specific equipment in laser dentistry allows the dentist to detect the presence of caries. Caries detection is usually done through visual inspection, often with the aid of a mouth mirror and a dental explorer. When a laser is used, the light is shown on the teeth surface and it will indicate the presence of caries. This is means that even minute infections will be detected and their progression will be halted right away.
– Dental Fillings: Traditionally, dental fillings are performed by drilling the tooth surface. The drilling is necessary so that the teeth can be cleaned of disease and prepared for the filling material. Today, laser dentistry simplifies the process because it is able to clean and prepare the cavity without drilling. The intense light can cut into tissues, reducing trauma for patients.
– Luting and Curing: For a while now, dental filling materials as well as luting materials or adhesive are allow to harden and set with the application of laser dentistry. LED light is shown on the tooth, so the soft and flowable resin can set and harden. This results to a more straightforward process for both filling and luting purposes because the material hardens right away and no waiting time is required for it to cure or harden, unlike in the case of traditional materials.
– Teeth Whitening: Laser dentistry is also applied in teeth whitening procedures. Some lasers, although weak, are designed into compact home whitening kits; and in the dental office, laser whitening lamps give patients bleaching results that are no other methods are able to achieve. The whitening lamp works by boosting the effect of the whitening agent, so that it does its work faster and brings the teeth to a whiter, more beautiful funish.
– Gum Incision: Traditionally, gum incision and other soft tissue manipulation (for flap formation, gum treatment or biopsy purposes) are carried out with a blade and scalpel. These incisions are precise but if you want to reduce the bleeding, laser dentistry is a good option. The intense light will replace the action of a sharp blade, penetrating into the tissues without the need for so much force. It cuts through soft tissue neatly and the procedure is less bloody and less painful for the patient to endure.
– Root Canal Treatments: Root canal treatment procedures begin with access preparation. To be able to remove the pulp tissue, the pulp chamber will have to be accessed, while making sure to preserve much o the healthy tooth structure. Access Preparation is usually performed with a drill, but if you want to eliminate the use of the drill, access can be achieved through the use of laser.