Dental implants are one of the most popular restorative dental procedures available today. Implants has plenty of benefits over traditional dentures, including:
- Since dental implants are permanent, they don’t slip out of place when chewing or speaking
- There is no hard plastic appliance covering the roof of the mouth
- The artificial teeth affixed to the implants are specially made to match the color and shape of the patient’s natural teeth as closely as possible
- Having the implants in place prevents other teeth from shifting into the space left by the missing teeth
- There is no need to buy extra supplies to care for dental implants
- Implants don’t affect speech patterns the way that removable dentures can
How Long Do Dental Implants Last?
Patients usually ask how much implants cost, and the next most common question is: how long do dental implants last?
We understand these questions because we know you’re making a major investment and want it to last as long as possible. The good news is that dental implants may last as long as two decades when you practice good oral hygiene and don’t subject them to unnecessary strain.
In a survey by a dental industry, 83% of implant patients said they still had their original dental implants in place after 16 years, which is very much longer than the 10-year average lifespan of dental bridges and dentures. The study did note that dental implant patients typically visit the dentist more often for minor repairs, which helps to explain the extended lifespan.
Are Dental Implants Right for You?
Whether you’re missing a single tooth, several consecutive teeth, or all of your teeth, dental implants may be a viable option for tooth replacement. We encourage you to contact Oak Brook Smiles to request an appointment with Dr. Haque. He will discuss the procedure with you and let you know if you appear to be a good candidate for implants after completing an examination.