Teeth veneers are dental restorations given usually to the anterior teeth and it involves placing a prosthetic on the facial surface of the teeth. It can resolve all kinds of issues: teeth spacings or diastema, stains and discolorations, mild rotation, misalignments and malpositions, as well as small chips, cracks, fractures and breaks.
Dental veneers can bring amazing transformations to a patient’s smile. A number of cosmetic issues are easily resolved by the fabrication and installation of teeth veneers so they are quite appealing to patients.
- Tooth Preparations: When teeth veneers are to be fabricated for a patient, tooth preparations or the drilling of the teeth may or may not be performed depending on the materials used. Materials that are more bulky, rely on surface area to be retained in the mouth, so preparations have to be made at about 1-2 millimeters.
- Sedation and Anesthesia: Although very minimal reduction is performed and such reductions are done only on the facial surface of the teeth, a patient may opt to enjoy the procedure with or without anesthesia or sedative. Anesthesia will suppress pain signals so the dentist can proceed with the work painlessly for the patient; and a sedative is a solution that helps alter perception, making the procedure easier to receive.
- Materials: First of all, teeth veneers may be performed directly or indirectly. They may be fabricated in composite resin, porcelain or ceramic and the choice one which on is to be used, will rely on the patient’s preference and requirements.
- Color and Shade: Regardless whether the teeth veneers are made of composite resin, ceramic or porcelain, they are tooth-colored and can easily be matched with the color of the adjacent teeth. It is also possible for the color and shade to be made whiter than the existing teeth, to create a more beautiful smile.
- Retention: Teeth Veneers are fixed restorations. After tooth preparation, the restorations will be moulded and formed, then brought into the mouth so that it could be fixed. These restorations may be retained by cement for indirect restorations and by a bonding adhesive for a direct restoration. They are permanent in a way but understand that it could still be removed.
The dental facts mentioned about teeth veneers should help patients know more about the procedure. By being well informed, they are able to make a sound decision about getting veneers or not.